Saturday, January 29, 2011

Not Just Friends

I just hate to go home for the summer
After all we’ve been through and the good times we’ve had
But before I should go; I just want you to know,
I don’t want it to end; you’ve been more than a friend,
My best friend I just have to tell you.

We decided to meet at the station,
Then you reached out to me put a card in my hand,
“Please just put it away, read it some other day,
It was really quite hard; when I bought you that card,
But it says what I really must say.”

What is this that you would tell me you can’t say out loud?
A few hours and I’ll too far away,
We have shared and we’ve talked about each other’s dreams,
I don’t want this to end; you’ve been more than a friend,
My best friend I can’t leave you this way.

You just smiled that smile that you carry,
Said, “be good as you can,” then put your card into my bag,
And it started to rain; as I got on the train,
As we waved our goodbyes, there were tears in my eyes,
All these feelings were hard to explain.

The train pulled away,
Felt my heart break, in pieces,
It was you, that just had me in two,
You are more than a friend, now this just cannot end,
For my friend I have fallen for you.

Then I opened the card that you gave me,
And it read on the front as I stared in surprise,
“I just can’t be your friend; now this all has to end”,
As my heart nearly died, then I read the inside,
“Not just friends for I’m in love with you”,
“Not just friends for I’m in love with you”.
In Love with you.

Peter Lowell Paulson
January 29, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment