Sunday, February 6, 2011

Baby's First Birthday

Now slow, I slip with sleepy eyes,
And drift in slumber on this night,
To dream of every big surprise,
Of my first happy birthday’s sight.

Grandpa, Grandma were here today,
And Moms and Dads and children too,
Presents for me, and all would stay,
To sing, “Happy Birthday, to you!”

But now the best, what do I see,
A big bright candle on the cake,
Mom blows it out and gives to me,
This frosted treat for me to take.

This wonderment of my first year,
A finger tip into the prize,
And slowly test the icing here,
As guests all gaze with loving eyes.

Now on the tongue the chocolate goes,
The sweet begins to settle in,
The thought within this baby grows,
This cake is mine I start to grin.

And with one year's maturity,
As serious I face the task,
I've gained enough dexterity,
To eat the cake through chocolate mask.

My parents are so proud of me,
Together we have come so far,
Now I will grow and ever be,
Their living, loving, little star.

Peter Lowell Paulson
February 6, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love it!! Especially the last two stanzas. Can I have permission to reprint on my site and provide a link back to yours? :)

    ReplyDelete